Terror attack at London Bridge and Borough Market: everything we know so far
A third terrorist behind the London Bridge attack has been named as a 22-year-old Moroccan-Italian called Youssef Zaghba. He was reportedly not a subject of interest to either British police or MI5.
27-year-old Khuram Butt (known locally as Abu Zaitun), who came to Britain from Pakistan as a child, was one of the first two attackers to be named. This was along with 30-year-old Rachid Redouane, who claimed to be Moroccan and Libyan.
As much of the nation prepared to go to bed on Saturday night, news of another barbaric attack on innocent people enjoying their lives began to break, this time in the London Bridge area of the capital city. It came less than two weeks after the atrocity in Manchester where 22 Ariana Grande fans were killed by suicide bomber Salman Abedi following her gig, and just one day before the singer's fundraising benefit concert for the victims of the Manchester attack.
The Metropolitan Police have confirmed seven fatalities have so far occurred as a result of the incidents in London, which they are treating as an act of terrorism.Scary scenes on London Bridge last night. Getty
Here's everything we currently know.
At approximately 10.08pm on Saturday June 3, ambulances and armed police become some of the first responders to reports of an incident on London Bridge, in which a white van was said to have driven at high speeds into pedestrians.
BBC reporter Holly Jones, who just so happened to be passing by the scene at the time, described how "a white van driver came speeding - probably about 50mph - [and] veered off the road into the crowds of people who were walking along the pavement. He swerved right round me and then hit about five or six people."Police officers escorted remaining pedestrians safely off the bridge Getty
Contrary to previous vehicle-related attacks, where the cars and their occupants have come to a stand-still following a collision, a taxi driver named Chris told LBC radio station how "three men... with long blades, 12 inches long" got out of the van and began moving on foot "along Borough High Street stabbing people at random. I saw a young girl stabbed in the chest," he said.
The Telegraph reports two witnesses recalled hearing the attackers shouting, "This is for Allah" as they carried out the brutal acts of violence.
As news of the London Bridge van attack and the Borough Market knife attacks began to unfold, and it became increasingly evident they were linked, the Metropolitan Police's Twitter account announced officers had attended a third incident at Vauxhall, a little over two miles south west of the initial incidents.
This, however, was later deemed to be an entirely separate event.
The incident at #Vauxhall is a stabbing and is not connect to the incidents at #LondonBridge & #BoroughMarket? Metropolitan Police (@metpoliceuk) June 3, 2017
Following the terror attack which took place at London Bridge and Borough Market - areas which are renowned for their bars and restaurants - it's been confirmed that seven people have so far died in the attack - with the one victim named as Canadian national Chrissy Archibald.
Commissioner Cressida Dick's live statement #LondonBridge #BoroughMarket https://t.co/bl1VmC8iUF? Metropolitan Police (@metpoliceuk) June 4, 2017
The official London Ambulance Twitter page announced they had admitted 48 people with serious injuries to five London hospitals, 21 of whom are reported to be in a critical condition. Paramedics treated many others for minor injuries at the scene, while wounded victims caught up in the attack were advised to head to the Andaz Hotel in Liverpool Street where they could seek treatment.
We have taken 48 patients to hospital following the incident at #LondonBridge https://t.co/hCiKVCBrnb pic.twitter.com/5ipl5vtcTB? London Ambulance (@Ldn_Ambulance) June 4, 2017
Assistant Commissioner of the Met police, Mark Rowley, confirmed in a statement that the three attackers had been shot and killed by police within eight minutes of the first call, despite widespread fear among people out in London that attackers may still be on the run. Police have confirmed they do not believe this is the case.
The three assailants were found by police to have what looked like explosive belts strapped around them, however these later turned out to be "hoaxes".
Earlier this morning, Assistant Commissioner Mark Rowley made the following statement regarding the #LondonBridge & #BoroughMarket incidents pic.twitter.com/5q7ssSpUnJ? Metropolitan Police (@metpoliceuk) June 4, 2017
The statement also said that a British Transport Police officer attending the scene had been stabbed and had sustained non-life-threatening injuries. A statement from British Transport Police corroborated this, saying: "He received injuries to his head, face and leg, which, at this time, are believed to be serious but not life threatening.
"He is currently being treated in a central London hospital and his family are with him while he receives treatment."Getty
Prime Minister Theresa May rushed back to Downing Street following news of the terror attack breaking late last night, and called an emergency Cobra meeting with cabinet ministers and intelligence chiefs. In an official statement from the PM regarding the incidents, she labelled the events "terrible" and confirmed they were "being treated as a potential act of terrorism".
"This is a fast moving investigation. I want to express my huge gratitude to the police and emergency services who are on the scene. Our thoughts are with those who are caught up in these dreadful events," the statement added.Getty
British Police later confirmed they had arrested 11 people in east London over the attack, the Associated Press reports. In a statement, they said the arrests were made on Sunday morning in Barking by counterterrorism officers. They added that the investigation is progressing rapidly.
The BBC reports neighbours of one of the three attackers, who resided at the Barking address, say he was married with two children. "I've said hello in passing more than 50/60 occasions. He has two young kids. He was a very nice guy," neighbour Damien Pettit told reporters.
We and the rest of the country are thinking of anybody affected by the dreadful scenes in London last weekend.
Counter-terrorism police are encouraging anyone who took any pictures or video footage of the attack last night to upload it to this website in order to help police with their enquiries. Casualty bureau numbers are 0800 096 1233 and 020 7158 0197.
London in Escorts Agency is specialised in getting together the most beautiful and exotic escorts. So that, gentlemen find great ways to spend their days and nights in the London metropolis.
Our catalogue will surely have the type of woman you are looking for. London outcall escorts are used to satisfying you. On your own favourite place or using anything you are willing to use at home. Certainly they create more innovative and intriguing ways for you two to enjoy yourselves. Tell your friends about the experience or keep it to yourself. Either way, our professional girls take confidentiality seriously making sure they don`t get the neighbours attention while coming to your house. Her discreet behaviour will stop after entering your house where all the private parts of her body will be yours for enjoying.
Don't hesitate, make a booking right now!